Kuopion Karjanmyyntiosuuskunta (KKO) takes its first steps as a meat processor in the summer of 1910, when it buys a sausage factory in Puijonkatu 16, Kuopio from Malakias Hedborg, who has been a sausage maker for almost 30 years.
The deal includes what little machinery and equipment there is and the right to lease the 50-square-metre premises. Taking up sausage-making is also a major step financially. As early as the following year, the sausage factory’s production accounts for half of the co-operative’s net sales.
Fairly soon it is found that the premises acquired from Hedborg are too small and outdated. Sausages are practically made by hand, water is carried in pails from a well three blocks away, and there are no sewers, let alone electricity.
Nevertheless, KKO’s sausages conquer the hearts of the locals, so it makes sense to continue. People flock to the market hall shop opened in 1909 when KKO’s sausages come in.
More spacious production premises are found nearby, in Puijonkatu 14. The premises are ready for use in 1916, but they too become too small after ten years. Only the premises found later in Tulliportinkatu are felt to meet all the requirements and the growing demand for sausages.